Friday, January 11, 2013

Downgrading RPD version in OBIEE 11g


Today I encountered a problem when trying to deploy a later version repository into an earlier environment. In this case my changes were made in the 11.1.1.6 Administration Tool (v 318) and I needed to deploy the RPD to an 11.1.1.5 environment (v 308). Without downgrading the repository I was not able to start the BI Server component. Here’s how I got around it…
First I ran nqudmlgen.exe from the later (11.1.1.6) environment. This can be found in <BI_HOME>\bifoundation\server\bin
nqudmlgen.exe -N -P Admin123 -R C:\RPD\11116.rpd -O C:\RPD\udml.txt
Then I edited the file in a text editor to remove any instances of these lines:
'COMPRESS_COLUMNS' = 'No',
'ROWNUM_LIMIT_SUPPORTED' = 'Yes',
'ROWNUM_OFFSET_SUPPORTED' = 'Yes',
'NUMERIC_SUPPORTED' = 'No',
'ANCESTOR_DIMENSION_PROPERTY_SUPPORTED' = 'No',

Finally I used nqudmlexec.exe that comes with the earlier (11.1.1.5) environment and is bundled with the Client Tools installation.

nqudmlexec.exe -P Admin123 -I C:\RPD\udml.txt -O C:\RPD\11115.rpd
My new RPD could then be deployed via EM with no major complaints besides a few warnings in the nqserver.log file